The Aleutians
The Lands of 50 mph Fog
© HLSWILLIWAW.COM
Built with XARA
P-40 “Warhawk”
Three P-40’s were enroute to either China or Russia. Robert Leavitt never did find out for sure. Everybody was tight-lipped about them. Believe this to be the P-40 Warhawk. Robert Leavitt spent time on Shemya in 1946-47. He took this photo with a Kodak Brownie camera
Current Update: 07 Dec 2021 14:17
The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk is an American single-engined, single-seat, all-metal fighter and ground-attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. The P-40 design was a modification of the previous Curtiss P-36 Hawk which reduced development time and enabled a rapid entry into production and operational service. The Warhawk was used by most Allied powers during World War II, and remained in frontline service until the end of the war. It was the third most-produced American fighter of World War II, after the P-51 and P-47; by November 1944, when production of the P-40 ceased, 13,738 had been built,[3] all at Curtiss-Wright Corporation's main production facilities at Buffalo, New York. [Wikipedia]